... and into the Light

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Interesting...

Can a person diagnosed with Bi-polar hold the same job for a number of years?
Without medication?

I think so.

I have been at my job for almost 8 years. I know another bi-polar who has been at the same job for almost 6, and another for over 10.
Bi-polarity doesn't have a problem with stability in life it is stability in mind. The more changes in the surroundings the worse the mental state - so why disrupt the work environment if you don't have too. Sure every bi-polar I know has missed work or taken a leave due to changes in moods and meds and the inability to cope with everything else. Knowing there is a job to go back to gives you something to strive for - a sense of normalcy to look forward to.

All of the research in to mental illness I have done has shown that those suffering from ADHD (Attention Deficient HyperActivity Disorder) are the ones that change jobs regularily - at least once a year. (And I know a couple of people like that too, my best friend for one.)

I know that my fear of losing my job is one of my motivatiors to keeping control. I fight within myself for sanity and the strength to get out of bed and to get on with my life.
I don't want to die anymore...
I did at one time.
But I realize now that I have something to do here on this earth and it is my duty to myself, my family and my friends to figure out what it is and then do it.
Besides - maybe I can help someone along the way.
Dragonfly 12/15/2004 01:30:00 PM

2 Comments:

I agree with everything you said. Everything. Not to get too personal,and you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but are you currently on meds? If so, do they help? Sometimes I wonder if I should talk to someone again about things, but then I think that I have been doing great for awhile so why bother? Of course other times, I feel like I want to go to the middle of the desert, drink, write and never come back. It is those times that scare me a little, because I don't want to tell anyone and I almost drive half way there before I snap out of it. I don't know. I need to write. Take care.
Yes, I'm on meds. A mood stabalizer.
It helps me. without it I swing rapidly and my lows are very severe!!!
I still swing - it is taking a wjile to find the right dose and even the right combination of meds but the ultimate goal for anyone with bi-polar is to be able to function and cope without medication. If you feel like withdrawing maybe you should talk to someone - it sounds like you are bordering on depression - especially with your lack of creativity lately. Mind you sometimes I would like to escape into a desert - it's hot there (not like the freaking cold we have here... I usually like winter but I am cold in the house too!) be greatful you come to your senses. Maybe you should keep a picture of your wife on your dash, or the sunvisor, that way you can see what you have at home to give you strength.
Stay strong friend!

Add a comment