... and into the Light

Friday, February 25, 2005

I have a lot of stufff...

And the more I pack the more crap I find. I have come to the realization that I never use half of the crap that I use... I have had the same bottle of sparkling gel for 4 years, I have perfumed body lotion and shower gel that I have had since college and a facial mask that I had an allergic reaction too. A wicker chair that is falling apart and taped together in parts but I have had since I was 18 and was the first piece of furniture I was ever given (and never sit in for fear of it collapsing from pressure). A broken candle holder that Bec gave me that I have cemented back together. Clothes that I never wear and pictures and candles that have been in storage since I lived at home (over 12 years ago)... the problem is so much is already packed. And I thought I had already gotten rid of so much.

I guess my thought is...

Where do you draw the line?
When is it OK to throw stuff out?
At what point can you allow yourself to eliminate those possessions that have sentimental value as well, even if all they do is take up space.

The boxes that I have, I see and think - oh my... what is in here... what do I have that is taking up so much space. I feel that when I open these boxes absolutely nothing will be in storage, if I can't use it it will be gone!!!

I challenge everyone to find one useless thing that they are holding onto for sentimental reasons... that they have had for over 4 years and have not used or touched except to pack and unpack!!! That is my game! (for today!)
Dragonfly 2/25/2005 09:20:00 AM

3 Comments:

Quite a nice post.

I just moved into our new place in September and did just that. I got rid of some wierd little things that I did not ever remember having. However, I know that one should not get rid of too much because those are things that shaped who we are in some form. I destroyed photos and letters that I regret to this day. When we are in our 80s, I think it would be nice to look back on "dust collectors" with a sense of nostalgia and with a hand to our hands and a sigh out loud, go "Wow, what a great memory."
You know what FF, I have my Pound Puppy, my Cabbage Patch, My Opus Doll, Talking Stitch (even George likes him) and a monkey that the cat pulled half the fur out of all in one box, most of the year they stay there, but I don't believe they deserve to be tossed or donated... they have a history...

Maybe I'll through out your letters from college. That will clear up a tiny bit of space in the letter box... I do have a ton of pictures from back then I should do something about though... Like photo album or toss (I never had a photo album when I was a kid - I smell a new project...)

Thanks for playing!
I posted your questions. If you can do them soon that would rock. I am leaving for Augusta, GA on Tuesday AM and will not be back until next Monday. Have fun!

Add a comment