... and into the Light

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Friendship:The Impossible Thing

One is angry because I haven't posted about him. (He is disappointed as he says he is my boyfriend and I don't talk about him.) There... you have your mention teddybear. Do you feel better?

Seriously though.
Friendships become so fragile when they should be so strong.
During tough times, the wrong words, spoken in anger, can ruin years of trust and care.
Taking the time to help someone in need can turn against you.

I have a friend who has left. Travelled across the country to be with her man.
At the end of the summer another friend is flying across the world to go to school.
Two of my best friends have all but abandoning me in a 2 month span. It is a little hard to take. But they are still my friends. It just means that getting together for tea or a movie is going to be a little difficult.


My godchild once asked mt the difference between a friend and an acquaintance.
I told her that a friend is someone you would tell your secrets too, and trust that they wouldn't tell anyone else. And that person would tell you their secrets too.
An aquaintance is someone that you chat with but not share every detail of your life. There's no trust there.

At that point she understood why I wasn't 'friends' with her biological father.
(She's very smart).

I choose my friends carefully.
I take the time to figure out who I can trust before I truly open up to my friends.
It is a long process.
I haven't made a mistake yet.

Friendship is a funny thing.
Friends can help you, or they can hinder you.
Maybe they need to be saved, and you have a guiding nature.
You choose the ones that complement you. Or the ones that you want to be.
Regardless, there is something about that person that attracts you to them. And they to you.

Friendships need to be nurtured and they need to be nourished.

I miss my friend who has gone.
And I don't want the one who is leaving to go away.

And they both know it.

Damn...
in my head this was a happy post.
oh well.
Too late now.
Dragonfly 7/10/2005 09:13:00 PM

2 Comments:

Teddy Bear loves you Drangonfly.
Your friends will never really leave you. They will always be with you in your thoughts, memories and dreams. That no one can steal from you.
1470 will always be with me!
It was a sweet little post. All parts of life have a little saddness in them. I hope things get better with your friends.

Add a comment