... and into the Light

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Canada vs. U.S.

The largest country by land mass in the world is Canada. The most "powerful" country is the U.S. We are separated by the longest unprotected border in the world. Yet we have different means of measuring temperature, distance and speed. We have different money and different governing styles...

Some of these differences affect me daily - some affect me more often than others.
Usually it's the money I deal with.

Yesterday it was the spelling differences.
Firefly and I were... well... looking up new words... experimenting as it were. And when we looked up "Dischord" in the thesaurus it came back as being spelled incorrectly. "Discord"

"What?" I said. "I swear I looked it up in the dictionary and the thesaurus before I changed my title - it is the correct spelling."
Firefly responds, "Must be the American spelling on this one then."
"Stupid American's. Learn to Spell!!" says DF... *mostly because I feel kind of like an ass and fear I have been misspelling for months and that is my worse fear.*

Why must there be 2 different dictionaries... Why???
Someone explain this to me?
We speak the same language, we wear the same clothes (unless you're MooCow on a bike) and we travel the same internet...
why can't we share the same words...

Mind you - with the way the school systems are loosing funding the writing has left and spelling has gone out the window so it really doesn't matter, does it?
Dragonfly 9/25/2005 08:46:00 PM

7 Comments:

The whole spelling difference is so funny isn't it? Color and colour...Man, sometimes my english teacher wanted to kill me, and I would say "Hey, that's the way they do it in England and Canada, and England used english WAY before us!" She laughed and told me never to do it again.
Sometimes I get confused as to the proper way to spell... it can be very over-whelming!
I vote we create Amerida, which will be ruled by a Peepocracy.

All in favor?

*crickets chirp*

That's it. No crickets in Amerida.
I r a produkt uf ann Amerikann skool. I turnd uot jyst fyne.

Bsides yf skoolz gott moor monay sum rych persun myght knot bee abel two bye anouther poul or jett four themselfs. Thatt woold bee just awfal.

(oh.. and Moo.. shouldn't that be .. "all in flavor?")
Damn, Grend beat me to my joke.

Shit.
When it comes to taking stabs at people with grotesque amounts of money I'm pretty quick on the draw Vegas.

And Dragonfly, trust your gut instinct on spelling. I live in a land where we created the word "Croissandwich". We simply cannot be trusted with any language.
Moo: Amerida... why can't Canada be dominant (for once) and it be Canarica...
and the Peepocracy can only rule if it wears a crown - for no reason at all - but out of respect for a monarchy that used to govern here.

And Grend: What? That was great!!!


I'm sticking with DISCHORD!!!!
I know in my heart that it is right... so it is LAW!!!

Add a comment