... and into the Light

Monday, January 23, 2006

The Forgotten

I have not spoken to him since August... maybe September. Not really by choice, it just kind of happened. Our paths haven't crossed and picking up the phone just isn't that easy when you really don't have that much to say.
But he called me, out of the blue, and said he was sorry that he hadn't talked to me, or come to visit me in so long. I was quite surprised. Then he asked if he could come visit me one weekend. Even more shocking!
My father and I aren't that close.
We really don't have a lot in common, but when we do get together, we can find ways to hang out and enjoy eachothers company. Playing cards, and watching movies seems to pass the time well enough... Actually the man is quite amusing. For no reason other than he is predictable in his behavior. Smoking, drinking and playing... That is the life of my retired father.
The fact that he called me is what does not fit the profile.

We talked about the things going on with my life. He said he would come to the gym with me, and he'll take me out to dinner. We can celebrate our birthdays together (they are 5 days apart).

The one thing he said that kind of bothered me, is that people don't like to visit bachelors/bachelorettes houses as they don't get fed. I find that there is never food here because I don't eat here... But if I knew there were people coming I would be going to there store before hand and stocking up. Especially on snacks and a meal or two... Just in case... Who knows what we would be doing....
Mind you I do have food here, but it its food that I like and that I take to work everyday. But whatever.

Honestly, I expect him to forget calling me and even having the conversation. I expect he was stoned when he called.
That way I will not be disappointed when he doesn't show.
Dragonfly 1/23/2006 07:31:00 PM

2 Comments:

The last paragraph of this post absolutely broke my heart. I am so sorry that you don't have a dad that you feel you can count on. I have so much more I could say about this, but I hope he shows. *Hug*
Red: Don't let it break your heart. I stopped letting him break mine ages ago. It's OK. Really. I understand that you don't choose your parents you just have to accept them, faults and all!
Thanks for the thoughts and hugs... much appreciated though.

Add a comment