... and into the Light

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Face/Off

Surprisingly enough I was caught of guard by a "friend" at work. I wouldn't call her a close frined, more of an aquaintance, but I've known her for years, and I've seen her lose weight, lose her husband, gain the weight back (plus 30 pounds or more) and find a new man. But she caught me off guard nonetheless.

She wanted to talk to me about how "skinny" I have become.
She thinks I am too thin.
And she is concerned.
I explained that I am eating properly, I excercise and I feel great.
I am looking after myself.
I also said that I have a layer of fat still too and I am not quite finished yet (just to give her a heads up).
She said - but you've lost so much weight so quickly.
I said that I have been at this since December of 2004... over a year now.. I don't think that that is too quickly...
I did tell her I appreciated her concern though.

My supervisor agreed with me that I had more to go, and that I wasn't done yet... then laughed and said.. NO I don't think you are fat.. I just understand what you meant when you said you have a layer of fat...

We both agreed that this "friend" might simply be jealous. I would love for her to start looking after herself again. There is a genuine concern about this girls overall health and others believe I should have defensive with her and tactfully told her to look after herself and start exercising and watching her diet!

But I took the "grown-up" approach.
Weird!
Dragonfly 3/25/2006 09:19:00 PM

3 Comments:

Sadly, she is jealous. It's the same thing when people don't like it when their spouses lose weight or their friends get a makeover...She'll get over it if she is a true friend.
2DG: Jealous? Of me? weird... I have never experienced that before... at least not for my weight anyway.

FF: I can be a growd up!!! *sticks tongue out, stamps foot, slams door* hehehe
Wow, you have way more restraint than I would have had in that situation. Okay,,, in reality, I would have been too shocked to say anything, I'm a wuss. You must love being told that you're too thin though! :)

Add a comment