... and into the Light

Saturday, October 21, 2006

I'll miss you, Olive Oyl

For as long as I can remember, She was there.
My Olive Oyl.
And yes.. that's what I called her.
Her husband was Popeye, and their daughter Sweet Pea.
In fact.. I think I was 8 before I knew what her first name really was.
But Olive Oyl (Beth) was my Godmother. Or she would have been if I was baptized or Christened.
And I adored her.

I got the call this morning.

I am happy for her that she is no longer suffering. The last couple of years have been hard for her. She had CID (a lung condition, like emphysema) and a blood clot/aneurysm in her aorta. She was not the picture of health.
I got to see her on my vacation in August/September.
I am glad for that. She was thrilled to see me too.
Now my drop-ins will be to see Popeye (Donnie) whom I also love... but he's not as chatty. (boys, you know)

I remember so many things about going to her house when I was little... the Dr. Zeus collection.. at the top of the stairs; The cat nosy, who was all grey and had half an ear, cause she slept in the car (engine) and got caught.. she lost her tail that way too; Telling Donnie to "Fuck Off" when I was 4.. cause he was teasing me (he still does, he gets the same response); sleeping in the trailer in the backyard with Sweet Pea, keeping her up all night reading Dr. Zeus!; Cuddling up with Olive Oyl, watching movies; Taking R over there swimming when she was little, and Olive Oyl sitting out on the deck with us chatting.

She was an amazing lady.
I will miss her.
Dragonfly 10/21/2006 12:36:00 PM

1 Comments:

Nice post, I am sure she is in a better place. You said Fuck Off at four? I don't think I had even heard that word before when I was that age. And here I thought you Northerners were all good and stuff.

Add a comment