... and into the Light

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Emotional Rebeginnings

Ever notice how easy it is to piss off the people you love. And it’s all emotion based.
No one can live without emotions, we all experience them and we all need to accept that they are there.
That’s what I have learned in CBT. Emotions are a part of life - it’s how you deal with them that makes the difference.
One single situation can create a variety of emotions - both positive or negative - it’s the internal dialogue that triggers our reactions to those.
Keeping emotions bottled up inside can lead to many other health problems. Some worse than others, but problems nonetheless.
I was told once that if you hold all your emotions inside you will eventually explode. I hope that the person I pissed off (who doesn’t read this blog by the way) figures out that I want to help and I will be there when the explosion comes.
Yet - then there is the whole - why do I constantly feel the need to help everyone - maybe it isn’t that I want to help - I just want them to know that there is someone who cares about them, and if I had the resources I could make this world a better place.
My friends are the most important part of my life.
I don’t know what I would do without them.
And there are times I forget where I would be without my friends, and my family for that matter.
I was sent a chain letter today, I don’t care that it was a chain letter - but within it’s contents was this poem. This is what I wanted to remind all my friends about, because I think the message is important.
My mistake was not just sending the poem and not removing the “chain” part of it.

This is the poem:
Around the corner I have a friend,
In this great city that has no end,
Yet the days go by and weeks rush on,
And before I know it, a year is gone.
And I never see my old friends face,
For life is a swift and terrible race,
He knows I like him just as well,
As in the days when I rang his bell.
And he rang mine but we were younger then,
And now we are busy, tired men.
Tired of playing a foolish game,
Tired of trying to make a name.
"Tomorrow" I say!
"I will call on Jim Just to show that I'm thinking of him."
But tomorrow comes and tomorrow goes,
And distance between us grows and grows.
Around the corner, yet miles away,
"Here's a telegram sir," "Jim died today."
And that's what we get and deserve in the end.
Around the corner, a vanished friend.

Remember to always say what you mean. If you love someone, tell them. Don't be afraid to express yourself. Reach out and tell someone what they mean to you. Because when you decide that it is the right time it might be too late. Seize the day. Never have regrets. And most importantly, stay close to your friends and family, for they have helped make you the person that you are today.

I have no regrets about sending the chain letter on.
I love my friends.
And I know that somewhere in their hearts they have a space for me.
I just wanted to remind them to express it - somehow.

Labels: , ,

Dragonfly 3/10/2007 10:44:00 AM

1 Comments:

Nice poem, nice thoughts. I sometimes feel I let my emotions flow too freely...of course that is what Audra tells me so that may be why.

Add a comment